It’s the time for New Year’s resolutions. In fact, 44% of adults resolve to lose weight almost every year, but almost half of those give up by summer. That’s why the pharmacists at Kerr Drug are observing Family Fitness Lifestyle Month this January, and urging families to get fit together.
“Everyone knows the consequences of inactivity and unhealthy foods but it’s difficult to break bad habits,” says Abby Reynolds, Manager of Clinical Programs at Kerr Drug. “It’s much easier and much more fun to get fit together and have family members support each other in becoming more fit and developing healthy habits.”
Kerr Drug’s pharmacists suggest these tips for a healthier family in 2012.
1. Schedule regular time throughout the week for physical activity.
2. Take turns selecting an activity for the family to do as a group each week.
3. Emphasize the importance of having fun and learning in activities; avoid a push to win.
4. Encourage nutritious snacks around the house, avoid the cookies and candy.
5. Discover what free and low cost physical activities are near your home (park, bike trail, hiking trail, tennis court, swimming pool, etc.)
6. Start everyone taking a multi-vitamin each day.
7. Schedule a physical for every family member.
8. Talk with your pharmacist about medicines and vitamins. “Family fitness is about a lot more than exercise,” adds Reynolds. “It is just as important for families to develop healthy lifestyle habits, which include healthy eating and health care. Once those habits are established they become a part of the family routine and benefit everyone.”
About Kerr Drug
Kerr Drug is one of the most recognized and respected names in the pharmacy industry. With its roots in the Carolinas and headquarters in Raleigh, N.C., Kerr Drug's strategic direction is founded in its unique ability to provide patients, the medical community, and health plans access to the most comprehensive and convenient health and wellness offerings in the business. For more information, please visit www.kerrdrug.com.