The Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust recently honored its conservation land donors of 2010 and 2011. The event was held at Wade Hampton and was attended by more than 60 members of the Land Trust.
At the event, The Land Trust celebrated the past years’ successes including land and conservation easement donors. Tommy and Vickie Chambers were honored for their donation of .78 acres along the historic Kelsey Trail and an easement that has allowed the Land Trust and the Highlands Plateau Greenway to connect Bear Pen Road to the Kelsey Trail. Also honored was Tom Blount for his donation of nearly four acres at the end of View Point Road that will protect a piece of the view from Highway 64 and Ed Carlson for the donation of a lot at Cowee Ridge. Judy Lemanski was honored for her donation of Pritchard’s Perch, a conservation easement just off of Panther Mountain Road that will protect the border of National Forestlands.
Land and easement donors received a hand turned wooden bowl as a thank you gift. Bowls are turned by local artisan Donald Krebs.
The Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust is the oldest land trust in North Carolina and has been conserving lands since 1909 with the purchase of Satulah Mountain. This acquisition was accomplished by the Highlands Community and was followed in 1914 by the donation of Ravenel Park. This park contains Sunset and Sunrise Rocks and is one of the most visited locations within the Town of Highlands by residents and visitors.
To learn more about the land trust and how it is investing in the future of Highlands visit the website at www.hicashlt.org.